Remember back three-or-so months ago, back when we were complaining about how cold it was and how we couldn’t wait for summer to roll around? Now that it’s here, we are dying to find ways we can cool off. In addition to the summer heat, we also endure a lot of humidity here in Arkansas.
It’s important that you know that HVAC units don’t just heat you up when you’re cold or cool you down on days like today. Your unit also dehumidifies your indoor air. The ideal humidity level for maximum comfort is between 30 and 60 percent. Compare that with the average morning humidity level in Little Rock between the months of June and August, which is 90+ percent! There are several reasons why it’s important to try to decrease the humidity level in your home (aside from your discomfort). The higher the humidity level, the harder your AC unit has to work, decreasing its lifespan. If the moisture level in your home is not monitored, it could also severely increase the amount of allergens that you are exposed to. (Pollen, for example, clings to moisture.)
To help you out, we have put together a few tips to help you to stay cool and allergen-free during these brutal summer months:
- When you cook on your stovetop, use lids on your pots and pans.
- Try drying your clothes outside on a line rather than in your dryer.
- If you don’t already have them, install and use fans in your kitchen and bathroom.
- Take both colder and shorter showers.
- Use fans as well as your AC to increase ventilation.
- Don’t over-water your plants. Temporarily move your plants outside as they naturally release moisture/vapor. A lot of people don’t realize that if you have a lot of plants it could significantly affect your home’s humidity levels.
- Keep your gutters and downspouts clean. Also be sure to adjust your downspouts to ensure they are draining water as far away from your house as possible.
While all of these are smaller everyday things you can do, there is one more option that has a huge impact: a whole home dehumidifier. This appliance helps extract the moisture in the air in your whole home. By proxy, it will help to make certain you won’t have any mold or mildew issues. BR McGinty offers whole home dehumidifiers and will teach you everything you need to know about them.
So, give us a call today! We’ll help you to enjoy these summer months and increase the comfort in your home.